Super quick with no cooking involved, smoked mackerel pate is delicious and easy to make. The oiliness of the mackerel becomes a plus along with the cream cheese and mayonnaise which results in a creamy texture. It blends the rich smoky flavour that marries so well with horseradish, gherkins and chives.
To process or not
We particularly like the mackerel to be flaked into the cream cheese base as we like the texture better than blended till smooth. Creaming the cream cheese and mayonnaise together then adding the chopped gherkins and fish gives a texture and flavour bursts that appeals to us. However, if you like it smooth, feel free to blend away. Still delicious!
Grab some crusty baguettes and a bottle of chilled white and youʼve got a super delicious picnic luncheon. It is also delicious served on little store bought blinis or toasted rye bread for a drinks party.
Smoked mackerel pate can be made up to two days in advance. In fact, the pate is always tastier after a day or so as the flavours have time to marry. This is a perfect make ahead starter to either be served individually or topped on some blinis, crackers or toasts.
Check out some more winning finger food recipes
What’s your favourite pate recipe? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
Smoked mackerel pate is super quick to make and delicious. You can make it two days in advance and bring to room temperature just before serving.
- 8 1/2 ounces (250 g) cream cheese softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 8 ounces (200 g) smoked mackerel skinned and fine bones removed - 2 fillets
- 1 bunch chives finely chopped
- 6 small gherkins chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons baby capers
- zest of 1 lemon finely grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons horseradish cream
- 2 teaspoons tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon worstershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- blend cream cheese and mayonnaise together till smooth
- add chives, gherkins, tabasco, worstershire, pepper, horseradish, zest, lemon juice and capers
- mix all ingredients till blended
- flake mackerel and remove any bones
- gently fold flaked mackerel into mixture
- serve and enjoy!
- you can make this 2 days in advance
Amount Per Serving Calories 113Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 26mgSodium 132mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 8g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.