Apple and sour cream slice fits into the ‘cheats’ category as you use a store bought packet cake mix, and canned apples. This delicious dessert is an old fashioned recipe that has been around for decades. It has a delicious, moist, coconut base with loads of apples topped off with sour cream and cinnamon. What’s not to like.
We first had this slice at a 90th birthday party, and it was a real crowd pleaser so we naturally got the recipe then, and there. The recipe has since been passed on umpteen times, as whenever we serve it everyone invariably asks for the recipe. Tick.
The base for this slice is made using a packet cake mix which you then simply add coconut and melted butter, then bake it for 15 minutes or so.
The topping could not be easier. Open pie apple, and spread over the base. Then mix sour cream with egg and vanilla and spread over apples, dust with sugar and cinnamon, then bake for 20 minutes. Too darn easy!
Watch How To Make Quick Apple and Sour Cream Slice
Scroll down for the Quick Apple and Sour Cream Slice recipe
check out some more delicious apple desserts
click on the link for the recipe…..French Apple Cake
click on the link for the recipe…..Sicilian Apple Cake
click on the link for the recipe…..Apple Frangipane Tart
click on the link for the recipe…..Apple Blueberry Cake with Crumble and Almonds
click on the link for the recipe…..German Apple and Pecan Crumble Cake
What’s your favourite apple recipe?
We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this winning quick apple and sour cream slice.
Apple and Sour Cream Slice
This is an old fashioned but still great little recipe...
- 340g (12 ounce) packet golden butter cake mix - see notes
- 1/2 cup (90g desiccated coconut
- 125g (4 1/2 ounces) butter, melted
- 800g (28 ounces) can of pie apple slices
- 300g (10 1/2 ounces) sour cream
- 1 large egg, lightly whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- preheat oven to 180c (355f) on bake, not fan
- lightly spray oil a 20cm (8 inch) square cake tin
- line base and the two opposite sides with overlapping sheets of baking paper, extending the baking paper 5cm (2 inches) over edge of pan
- combine dry cake mixture, coconut and melted butter in a medium bowl
- press mixture evenly over base of tin
- cook for 15 minutes or until lightly browned
- remove from oven and allow to cool a little
- spread apples over base
- mix sour cream, vanilla and beaten egg together
- spread sour cream mix over apples
- combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the top
- cook for 20 minutes or until sour cream has set
- remove from oven and cool in pan
- lift baking paper sheets and place on cake rack
- slide baking paper from slice
- cut in slices
- serve and enjoy!
- we used Green's golden butter cake mix and discarded the icing sugar packet
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g
This was so easy and so delicious.
I used a cup of coconut (rather than a half) in the base and used a 23cm x 33cm tin.
Hi Sally, we’re so pleased you liked this very easy and delicious dessert. Thanks for sharing. Regards, Jo and Jen
What can I use instead of sour cream for a lactose intolerant person
Hi Jan, sadly this recipe really can’t have a substitute for the sour cream. Regards, Jo and Jen
What temperature is it cooked at?
Maybe there could be lactose free sour cream?
Hi Lynn, the cook temperature is 180c – 355f on bake not fan assist – if your oven only cooks on fan assist please lower the temperature by 20c – 50f as a fan assist oven cooks the food faster than a conventional oven. Hope this helps, we’d love to hear how you rate this recipe. Jo and Jen
Have made this before using coconut cream.. Works perfectly amd still just as yummy
Hi, thanks for the feedback, good to know. Regards, Jo and Jen
We LOVE all of your recipes & want to try this one now – what’s the best way to store it & roughly how long is its “shelf-life”?. I’ve got allergies so there is only 1 person eating it.
Hi Trace, this slice is delicious and will be best stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Regards, Jen and Jo