Condensed Milk mayonnaise is piquant with mustard and malt vinegar, and you’d think it would be super sweet, but it’s not.
If you have condensed milk in the pantry it’s super easy to whip up condensed milk mayonnaise in a minute.
Growing Up With Condensed Milk Mayonnaise
We grew up with Mum’s condensed milk mayonnaise. There was always a Tupperware container in the fridge ready to smear on an egg salad sandwich. Considering we grew up on a poultry farm there were always, always tonnes of eggs …..(remind us to tell you just how many we used trying to perfect pavlova…..too many!)
Anyways, as this mayonnaise was always on hand it was perfect for after school sandwiches.
Crusty white sourdough bread smeared with mayonnaise, cold thinly sliced iceberg lettuce, thin slices of tomato and cucumber, salt, pepper and some shaved ham makes for a perfect sandwich.👍
At a Glance This Is What You Need To Make 60 Second Condensed Milk Mayonnaise
dry mustard powder, or wet Hot English mustard
fine white pepper
sweetened condensed milk
What Is Sweetened Condensed Milk
Sweetened Condensed Milk is thick, sticky and sweet. In fact you can eat it straight up as many a child (or adult) will attest.
It’s made from cow’s milk from which roughly 60% of the water has been removed then sugar is added and heated.
Old Fashioned Condensed Milk Mayonnaise
Nestlè developed this recipe thats been around for decades, probably well before supermarkets sold salad dressings, or salad cream.
The recipe was on the label and this is the recipe we both always make and have on hand in the fridge, particularly in the warmer months.
How To Make Old Fashioned Mayonnaise
Quick and easy to make. All you need to do is pour the condensed milk into a small bowl and add the vinegar, mustard powder, salt and pepper and give it all a good mix.
Pour into a container with a lid and refrigerate it. Before refrigerating the mixture will be very thin but thickens up once refrigerated which makes it spreadable.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl
- Whisk until the mustard powder and vinegar have disappeared
- Keep whisking until the mayo is an even colour – 30 seconds
- The mixture will appear to be very thin but thickens once it is refrigerated
Make It Gluten Free
Our Mum always used malt vinegar, where the original recipe used white. Apparently malt vinegar contains some gluten, so use white vinegar if you’re wanting gluten free.
How Long Does Condensed Milk Mayo Last
Condensed milk mayonnaise lasts for months in the refrigerator. Keep it in an airtight container, or jar. The mayonnaise thickens when refrigerated but just give it a light whisk and the mayonnaise slackens ready to use.
Delicious Variations And Uses
- Try adding a couple of tablespoons of fresh cream, a squirt of tomato ketchup and a dash of tabasco for a delicious seafood cocktail sauce
- Adding loads of fresh snipped chives through the condensed milk mayonnaise gives a delicious burst of flavour to egg salad sandwiches
- Add a little curry powder
- Mix it through your next potato salad.
- Add it to your favourite pasta salad
- Spread on salad sandwiches
- Add a spoonful of horseradish cream to serve with smoked trout
- Use on salad sandwiches
- Serve with hot potato chips
Watch How To Make 60 Second Condensed Milk Mayonnaise
Subscribe to our newsletter and follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Check Out Some More Delicious Dressings
- Easy Hollandaise Sauce – in less than 60 seconds!
- Easy Homemade Tartare Sauce
- Seafood Cocktail Sauce Recipe
Don’t forget to rate this recipe and let us know what you thought in the reviews below.
This fabulous tasting pantry mayonnaise is made in a minute. It keeps for ages in the fridge. Great with egg salad sandwiches, potato salad or just about anything else you can think of.Amendment: Originally this recipe was posted as gluten free - with further research it appears malt vinegar contains small amounts of gluten. Use white vinegar if gluten is a problem for you.
Originally published September 2019
- 395g tin sweetened condensed milk (14oz)
- 2 heaped teaspoons mustard powder or wet hot english mustard
- 1/2 cup malt vinegar - try white vinegar for a gluten free alternative
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fine white pepper
- pour condensed milk into a small bowl
- add vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper
- whisk till thoroughly blended
- pour in a container with lid (mayo is very thin before refrigerating)
- refrigerate till mayonnaise has thickened
- serve and enjoy!
Kept in a clean airtight jar this mayonnaise will keep for months refrigerated.
Amount Per Serving Calories 183Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 13mgSodium 167mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 0gSugar 33gProtein 4g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.