Easy moist chocolate cake with buttercream icing is devine. It is the perfect chocolate cake! An extremely moist, light and chocolately crumb with an amazing and delicious chocolate buttercream icing. In our opinion this cake needs to be in every cooks repertoire.
It’s a cake recipe that is all over the internet with some calling it Beatty’s chocolate cake, Hersheys black magic cake or Ina Garten’s chocolate cake. Whoever the recipe belongs to we’re glad it’s out there. This is one of our favourite cakes to make for birthdays as it’s always popular with everyone.
Cocoa and chocolate
We used Nestle Plaistowe premium dutch processed cocoa powder for the cake and Lindt premium dark cooking chocolate for the icing.
The batter for this cake is extremely thin. Donʼt be concerned as it has 2 1/2 cups of liquid plus eggs which makes it very runny . It all bakes into a completely delicious light, moist and airy cake.
The icing is extremely easy to make and delicious. It’s creamy and fluffy and super easy to ice with. Buttercream icing is perfect for icing as it can be spread or piped. Ideal for cupcakes or sandwich cakes.
Icing the cake
Icing this cake is super easy using buttercream icing. Firstly ice the top of the bottom cake. Then place the second layer on top of the first. Dollop remaining icing on to the top of the cake and using an offset spatula or knife move the icing around to cover sides and top evenly.
This cake freezes like a dream. Simply wrap cakes individually in plastic wrap and freeze without icing. When required, remove from freezer and allow to thaw. Ice once thawed. We have read but not tried this, but some cooks say to ice the cake straight from the freezer and allow to come to room temperature.
scroll down for easy moist chocolate cake recipe
Check out some more winning cake recipes
- strawberry and cream sponge cake
- apple blueberry cake with crumble and almonds
- german apple and pecan crumble cake
- plum streusel cake
- lemon curd sponge roulade
What’s your favourite chocolate cake recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this easy moist chocolate cake with buttercream icing.
This. Cake. Is. Awesome! Chocolatey, dark, moist and airy with a sensational buttercream, it's everything you would want from a chocolate cake. Do yourself a favour and make it.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (plain flour), plus a little more for dusting the pans
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (bi-carb soda)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk or see notes for making buttermilk
see notes for making buttermilk
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly made hot coffee
- 6 ounces (170 g) dark cooking chocolate chopped
- 1/2 pound (225 g) room temperature butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cream or milk
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar (soft icing mixture) - sifted
- 1 tablespoon coffee powder
- 2 teaspoons boiling water
- preheat oven to 350 f (175 c) on bake not fan
- lightly butter and flour two 8 inch (20 cm) cake tins
- tap tins lightly on bench to remove excess flour
- cut baking paper to fit base of tin and place paper in the bottom of the tin
- sift flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt into mixing bowl
- in another bowl or jug combine buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla whisking lightly
- with mixer on low slowly add the liquids to the dry ingredients
- with mixer still on low pour in the coffee (batter will be very liquid)
- pour the batter equally into the cake tins - see notes
- bake on middle shelf for 35-40 minutes
- test with a skewer until the skewer comes out clean
- cool in tins for 30 minutes
- turn out onto cake rack and cool completely
- place cooled cake on serving plate and ice the top of the cake
- place second cake on top of first and add remaining buttercream
- spread icing evenly over top and sides
- serve and enjoy
note: remove cake from fridge ahead of serving to allow the buttercream to come to room temperature and soften.
- place chopped chocolate in a heat-proof bowl set over a pan with simmering water
- stir occasionally until all of the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth then set aside to cool
- beat softened butter in a mixer on medium -high speed for 2-3 minutes
- add egg yolk and vanilla and beat for a further 2-3 minutes
- add the soft icing sugar
- dissolve coffee with the boiling water and add to mixture
- add cream or milk, mix until well combined
- scrape down sides of bowl as necessary
- on low speed add the cooled chocolate and mix till blended
- don't overbeat after adding the chocolate
- ice the cake and enjoy!
- its a good idea to place cake tin on scales when pouring in the batter so you get an even amount in both tins
- homemade buttermilk - add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Milk will start to curdle and it's ready to use.
Amount Per Serving Calories 515Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 86mgSodium 651mgCarbohydrates 81gFiber 2gSugar 58gProtein 9g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.