Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup with loads of fresh ginger is a great tonic for the colder weather. Morsels of moist chicken, lots of finely shredded ginger, golden corn niblets, creamed corn and delicate ribbons of egg. Along with a tasty broth seasoned with soy, sesame and sliced shallots makes for soup nirvana!
Ginger is such a warming spice that gives your body great therapeutic benefits. Along with loads of sweet corn which feeds the good bacteria in your gut this soup is a nutritional and healthy choice for the colder weather.
By making your own chicken stock which is easy you will have the additional flavours of shallots and ginger to give depth to the stock. We have made our own stock for this chicken and sweet corn soup. You can, of course, halve the cooking time by using store bought stock.
For absolute ease and speed of making this soup, we have used both canned corn niblets and creamed corn. If you go the fresh corn path you will simply need to simmer the soup longer.
SERVING CHICKEN AND SWEET CORN SOUP
Serve a bowl of freshly sliced shallots for their sweet onion flavour and crunch. You may also like to serve additional soy and sesame sauces on the side as everyone has a different flavour preference. This chicken and corn soup is liked and enjoyed by young and old.
You might like to try our delicious and healthy harira soup spicy lamb and vegetable or our delicious and healthy minestrone with ham and pesto soup and while you’re on a soup roll check out our hearty chicken, vegetable and lentil soup
Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
Chicken and sweet corn soup is loaded with healthy fresh ginger and sweet corn. Loved by young and old alike it is sure to become a winter go-to recipe for nourishing and flavourful comfort food.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 4 chicken Maryland (2 1/2 lb / 1.2 kg)
- 1/2 oz (40 g) ginger sliced
- 4 shallots bruised - see note
- 1/4 cup Shaoxing wine- see note
- 8 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 4 fat cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 small brown onion finely chopped
- 80 g ginger finely julienned (3 oz)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Shaoxing wine - see note
- 1 x 400g can super sweet corn niblets (14 0z)
- 1 x 400g can creamed corn (14 oz)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- sliced shallots (scallions) to serve
- heat oil in large pan over medium to high heat and lightly brown the chicken
- add ginger, shallots Shaoxing wine and water and bring to boil
- reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked
- remove chicken and cut meat into bite size pieces discarding skin and bones
- refrigerate chicken until ready to use
- drain stock and discard aromatics
- put stock to one side till ready to use
- add oil to large pan and saute onion, ginger and garlic for 2 minutes - not browning
- next add Shaoxing wine, soy and sesame oil and add salt stirring for 20 seconds
- pour in strained chicken stock and add chicken meat, corn niblets, creamed corn and pepper
- bring to boil and add the cornstarch (cornflour) slurry, stirring for a minute or two until soup thickens
- reduce heat and gently pour the beaten egg in a swirl giving it a gentle mix to break up the egg pieces
- check for seasoning
- sprinkle with freshly sliced shallots
- serve and enjoy!
- to bruise shallots simply give them a hit with the side of your knife to squash and release their flavour
- Shaoxing wine is a rice wine from China. Used for cooking it can be substituted with dry sherry. Shaoxing is widely available in the Asian section of supermarkets
- cornstarch (cornflour) is optional but thickening slightly with this gives the soup more body
Amount Per Serving Calories 252Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 133mgSodium 455mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 16g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.