Strawberry and Cream Sponge Cake is a classic simple pairing of light and airy sponge, whipped cream and fresh strawberries. This recipe could not be easier to make. Itʼs all done in one bowl and your mixmaster does all the work.
Growing up we lived next door to a strawberry farm where we had after school jobs in season, of picking strawberries. When they were in season strawberries featured in our baking. This recipe for Strawberry and Cream Sponge Cake is a classic and one we have been making for years. Easy to put together, a sponge cake would be whipped up and baked in no time. Of course, living on a poultry farm ensured their was always plenty of eggs ready to whip one up.
Our Mum was an excellent cook and Mum rated this sponge recipe 10/10! A great recommendation which we fully agree.
Like our Strawberry and Cream Sponge Cake? Check Out Some More Winning Cake Recipes
Strawberry pavlova is a sensational dessert that looks difficult but in fact is super easy to make. We have been making rolled pavlovas since we were children. In fact we grew up next door to a strawberry farm where we had jobs picking strawberries. Weʼd come home with fresh strawberries and whip up a rolled pavlova in no time.
Plum streusel cake is a sure sign that summer has arrived. Every summer we wait for the stone fruit season to start at our local farmers market, in particular for blood plums to make this delicious plum streusel cake. It is a perfect dessert for afternoon tea and is perfectly at home served after dinner with a generous dollop of softly whipped cream.
Apple blueberry crumble cake is almost a cross between a pudding and a cake. Almonds, crumble and sugar create the topping covering a thick layer of sliced and spiced apples atop a rich butter cake swimming with blueberries.
Italian Lemon Almond and White Chocolate Cake is so moist and lemony with white chocolate as a secret ingredient that adds a luxury smoothness to the dense crumb. This Italian Lemon Almond and White Chocolate Cake is a complete winner! Delicious, moist and utterly fantastic as an easy to make cake that completely delivers.
Lemon Curd Sponge Roulade is a light as a feather sponge, filled with lip puckering lemon curd and fresh cream. It will become a winning recipe for your repertoire. Ten minutes to make the sponge and ten more to bake, add another 10 minutes for your lemon curd and job done. Delish!
Subscribe to our newsletter and follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
What’s your favorite cake recipe? Leave us a comment as we would love to hear from you.
Classic strawberry sponge cake filled with cream and fresh strawberries is so easy and impressive to make. Sponge is best eaten within 2 days. Enjoy!
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup castor sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 teaspoons all purpose (plain flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (bicarb soda)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- wheaten cornflour
- 10 fl ounces (300 ml) whipping cream
- 1 punnet strawberries hulled and halved or sliced
- icing sugar to dust
- preheat oven to 340 f (170 c) fan or 375 f (190 c) bake
- lightly grease two 8 inch (20 cm) cake tins
- put flour, baking soda (bicarb soda) and cream of tarter into a one cup measuring cup
- fill the remainder of the cup with cornstarch (cornflour)
- beat eggs and sugar on high speed for 7 minutes
- sift flour mixture three times onto baking paper
- after 7 minutes beating add flour mixture on low speed and beat for 1 minute
- divide mixture between 2 tins
- bake on middle shelf for 15 minutes -see notes
- place a sheet of baking paper over cake rack
- when sponges are ready turn out onto baking paper
- cool completely
- spread bottom sponge with cream
- place strawberries on sponge
- lightly dust with icing sugar
- place second sponge on top
- dust with icing sugar and dress with sliced and whole strawberries
- serve and enjoy!
- keep an eye on sponges as all ovens are different
- sponges will shrink from side of tin when ready
Amount Per Serving Calories 238Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 108mgSodium 100mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 0gSugar 28gProtein 3g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.