Plum streusel cake is a sure sign that summer has arrived. Every summer we wait for the stone fruit season to start at our local farmers market, in particular for blood plums to make this delicious plum streusel cake. It is a perfect dessert for afternoon tea and is perfectly at home served after dinner with a generous dollop of softly whipped cream.
Blood plums with their deep red flesh and high sugar content are a true summer delight. The juices bleed a deep maroon colour into the crumb and the plums turn all glorious and jammy adding sweetness to the plum streusel cake. Use really ripe plums for this cake, plums that with a gentle squeeze feel soft. Better still, eat a plum and if the flavour is delicious and juicy they will be perfect for this plum streusel cake.
We love the addition of streusel to this cake with German origins for the buttery sweet crunch meeting the jammy plums merged with the orange scented cake crumb. Delish! You can of course omit the streusel and simply sprinkle some demerera sugar and flutter some flaked almonds over the top and all will still be well.
There is no butter in this cake batter. Sour cream, oil and eggs are simply stirred and then the dry ingredients are added, similar to a muffin batter.
Check out other delicious cake recipes……
- apple blueberry cake with crumble and almonds
- date and walnut cake gluten free
- italian lemon almond and white chocolate cake gluten free
- pear and almond crustless tart gluten free
- best lemon curd sponge roulade
Have you tried a plum streusel cake recipe that you think is a winner?
Leave a comment below and let us know!
Plum streusel cake is a perfect dessert for afternoon tea or perfectly at home served after dinner with a generous dollop of softly whipped cream.
- 5 ounces (150 g) all purpose (plain) flour
- 4 ounces (115 g) softened unsalted butter
- 3 ounces (90 g) demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 or 6 large red blood plums - halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1 1/4 cups (165 g) plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup caster sugar
- in a small bowl add flour, demerera sugar, cinnamon and butter
- using a hand beater beat until mixture is evenly mixed
- put aside till ready to use
- grease a 9 inch (22 cm) springform cake tin
- cut a circle of baking paper and place on base of tin
- preheat oven to 375 f (190 c) on bake, not fan
- in a large bowl whisk together flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt
- in a seperate bowl whisk eggs, oil, sour cream, orange zest, and vanilla
- stir in sugar to egg mixture
- add flour mixture to wet mixture and mix thoroughly
- pour mixture into springform tin
- place plums cut side down around the cake finishing in the centre
- crumble streusel topping evenly over plums
- place cake on centre shelf of oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- place cake on a cake rack to cool for 10 minutes - see notes
- run a knife around the the tin and release sides of springform tin
- allow cake to cool
- serve and enjoy!
- run a knife around the outside 10 minutes after removing from oven as the plum juices can be sticky and stick to the sides of the pan.
Amount Per Serving Calories 408Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 68mgSodium 315mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 1gSugar 23gProtein 33g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.