Retro deviled eggs with smoked salmon are back in vogue. Easy to make and quite economical theyʼre a great finger food and probably the first to go at any party. Deviled eggs are a real crowd pleaser. They are such an elegant bite (well, maybe two bites), that’s worthy of any appetizer plate. Little wonder they are popping up on trendy bar menus around the world.
Growing up on our poultry farm deviled eggs featured at every holiday or party. Mixed with our mum Noela’s condensed milk mayonnaise – GF and filled with all sorts of tasty fillings. One of our favourites was smoked salmon and salmon caviar.
I remember we once made a whole case of eggs…. 15 dozen eggs! It was a group effort, particularly the peeling of the eggs. That’s a lot of eggs!
Condensed milk mayonnaise
This Nestle recipe has been around for decades, probably well before supermarkets sold salad dressing or salad cream. Our Mum always used malt vinegar but we have used white vinegar for our devilled eggs. The dark colour of malt vinegar would make the egg yolk filling a little grey . This mayo is a winner and the magic ingredient for these delicious smoked salmon eggs.
Some tasty filling suggestions
- smoked oysters
- candied bacon
- blue cheese
- green olives
Eggs can be made two days in advance. Simply boil eggs, peel and halve them. Put the yolks, smoked salmon, mayo, capers, chives and salt and pepper into a food processor and pulse until well combined or mash with a potato masher or fork and add finely chopped ingredients. Filling can be popped it into a piping bag and placed in the fridge ahead of time. We like to rinse the egg whites gently just so thereʼs no little bits of yolk sticking to the egg whites. Store covered in the fridge and when ready to decorate lay them on a plate and pipe away. Too easy!
Check out some more winning finger food recipes
- egg salad sandwich
- smoked salmon pate with quick pickled cucumbers
- oven baked chicken wings with ginger and garlic dressing
- roasted tomato and chipotle salsa – gluten free
- guacamole with tabasco-gluten free
What retro appetizers would you like to see revived? Please comment below as we would love to hear from you.
Deviled eggs with smoked salmon are extremely popular. Delicious served at a party or over the holidays or just as a snack. Enjoy!
- 1 dozen eggs hard boiled and halved
- 1/2 cup condensed milk mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons baby capers - reserve some for garnish
- 4 ounces (100 g) smoked salmon - reserve some for garnish
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives - reserve some for garnish
- small jar of black lumpfish caviar - optional
condensed milk mayonnaise
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- boil eggs, peel and halve
- scoop yolks out and pop into food processor
- gently rinse egg whites if there are any bits of yolk left on the whites
- reserve a slice of salmon for garnish
- add remaining salmon to processor
- add mayonnaise, chives, capers, salt and pepper to yolks
- process till well combined
- put mixture into piping bag with a star nozzle or spoon into egg whites
- garnish with chives, salmon and caviar
- serve and enjoy!
condensed milk mayonnaise
note - You will only need half a cup of the mayonnaise for this recipe. Remaining mayonnaise keeps for months in the refrigerator.
- in a small bowl add all ingredients and whisk till blended
- mayonnaise thickens when placed in refrigerator
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g