We love a good cake and this apple blueberry crumble cake hits all the notes. Moist and not too sweet, with an abundance of apples, blueberries and a crunchy crumble topping, finished with almonds and sugar. Delicious.
Apple blueberry crumble cake is almost a cross between a pudding and a cake. Almonds, crumble and sugar create the topping covering a thick layer of sliced and spiced apples atop a rich butter cake swimming with blueberries.
This cake is just as happy served with custard or whipped cream.
Granny smith apples are our apple of choice for this apple blueberry crumble. The mixed spice along with the crunchy crumble, almond and demerara sugar topping adds sweetness to the tart and crisp Granny smith apple slices.
Apple, blueberry cake with crumble and almonds can be made gluten free by simply using gluten free self raising flour. Too easy!
To prepare the crumble simply use your fingers and rub the chilled butter through the flour and sugar till you have small lumps of butter, sugar and flour mixed together.
The batter for apple, blueberry cake with crumble and almonds is quite thin. When adding apples gently press them into the batter just to remove any air pockets amongst the apple slices.
Check out some other great cakes with fruit
Italian Lemon Almond and White Chocolate Cake is so moist and lemony with white chocolate as a secret ingredient that adds a luxury smoothness to the dense crumb. This Italian lemon cake is a complete winner! Delicious, moist and utterly fantastic as an easy to make cake that completely delivers.
This pear and almond impossible pie is a fabulous pantry standby dessert that only takes minutes to make. I was making this dessert in the early 80’s and it had completely slipped off my baking radar until now. I guess it is the constant quest to discover the next fabulous recipe to make that sometimes a favourite just goes to the back of the pack. Not anymore!
Did you try this Apple Blueberry Crumble Cake
Leave a comment below and let us know!
This moist apple blueberry crumble cake is a winner! Serve with a dollop of fresh cream for morning or afternoon tea.
- 3 medium granny smith apples
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 200 g castor sugar - (7 ounces)
- 200 g butter - chilled - (7 ounces)
- 200 g self raising flour or gluten free self raising flour - (7 ounces)
- 4 large eggs
- 125 g punnet blueberries (4 1/2 oz)
- 3 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 50 g butter (2oz)
- 50 g self raising flour or gluten free self raising flour (2oz)
- 50 g castor sugar (2oz)
- mixed spice 1 teaspoon
- line side and base of a 8 1/2 inch (22 cm) springform cake tin with baking paper - see notes
- preheat oven to 355 f (180 c) bake, not fan
- rub the crumble ingredients - butter, flour and sugar along with mixed spice in a bowl till crumbly and reserve for the crumble on top of the cake
- peel, core and thinly slice apples
- toss apples with lemon juice and 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- melt remaining butter gently
- in a medium bowl mix eggs and remaining sugar with an electric beater for 3 minutes
- add cooled butter, flour and blueberries and mix till combined
- pour mixture into springform pan
- top with apples and the reserved crumble mixture, gently press apples into batter
- sprinkle almonds and demerara sugar evenly over top of cake
- place on centre shelf of oven and bake for 50-55 minutes
- test cake with a skewer
- remove from oven and place tin on a cake rack for 15 minutes
- release side of springform and leave to cool
- slide cake onto serving plate
- serve and enjoy!
- lightly spray springform with oil to hold paper in place
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g