Growing up there was always easy bread and butter pickle in the kitchen ready for quick cheese and bread and butter pickle sandwich or corned beef and bread and butter pickles. Such an old fashioned recipe that is as popular today as it was decades ago.
Our Mum was known far and wide for her love of preserving. Friends were forever dropping off empty jars for mum and the laundry sink was often filled with water soaking off the labels. Both of our parents were keen gardeners and they had the biggest veggie garden with harvesting happening all through the warmer months. Friends would seldom leave our farm without some freshly picked veggies.
Making any kind of preserves always bring fond memories of Mum and her passion for preserving.
We have used Lebanese cucumbers also known as Persian, valued for their sweet flavour, thin tender skin, and under developed seeds.
We have used Himalayan pink salt for these quick bread and butter cucumbers as it is 100 percent salt with valuable minerals. Iodised salt tends to have an anti-caking additive which can leave the brine cloudy.
Brining with salt and vinegar preserves the pickle. You can change the vinegar to apple cider vinegar if you wish.
Tried and true recipes
This recipe was given to us from an elderly friend many years ago and this is our friends hand written recipe. The recipe has obviously had its fair share of vinegar spilt over the years. Nostalgia prevents us from rewriting it as the hand writing brings back many memories.
Check out our
What’s your favourite pickle recipe? Leave a comment below and let us know!
Easy and quick to prepare these bread and butter cucumber pickles are an old fashioned favourite. The time is in the brining but you're hands free for all of that time. Enjoy with your favourite sandwich, burger or straight out of the jar!
- white vinegar 1 cup
- white sugar 1 1/2 cups
- yellow mustard seed 1 tablespoon
- caraway seeds or celery seeds 1 teaspoon
- turmeric 1 teaspoon
- lebanese or persian cucumbers ( about 6 large) cut into 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) slices -2 pounds (1 kilo)
- eschallots (shallots) thinly sliced - 2 large
- himalayan pink salt or other salt - 2 tablespoons
- slice cucumbers into 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) slices and place in a glass bowl
- thinly slice eschallots (shallots) and add to cucumbers
- sprinkle salt over and toss the salt through evenly
- pop bowl into refrigerator for two hours
- tip cucumber mix into a colander and rinse well
- boil brine mixture for 2-3 minutes or until sugar has dissolved
- pour hot brine over cucumbers and let them sit for 2 hours
- pour brine and cucumber mix into a saucepan
- bring to the boil then immediately turn the heat off
- place into a glass jar and allow to cool
- pop lid on jar and refrigerate
- serve and enjoy!
- easy bread and butter cucumbers keep in the fridge for a month
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g