This easy egg and bacon potato salad is sensational. It wouldnʼt be summer without barbeques and it wouldnʼt be a barbeque without potato salad. Waxy potatoes, crunchy sweet and sour gherkins, piquant onions, hard boiled eggs and crispy bacon along with the best mayonnaise makes it a complete winner. It pairs perfectly with any grill, barbeque or potluck, making this our go to side dish for any warm weather get together. It’s also a must have salad for Christmas that pairs perfectly with baked ham.
Summer is the prime barbecue season and we love to barbecue, and make this delicious easy egg and bacon potato salad that gets trotted out regularly . It is so popular that we are always giving out the recipe, but the real magic is in the mayonnaise. This is the potato salad that we grew up with, minus the kipflers that weren’t available way back. It is quite simply delicious, and everything you’d want from a potato salad.
It’s the mayonnaise that truly makes the potato salad. This mayonnaise has been around for decades and surprisingly itʼs made with condensed milk , mustard powder and malt vinegar. It has a really lovely piquant taste due to the mustard. Itʼs a winner!
We love kipfler potatoes for their yellow, waxy flesh and kipflers are an ideal boiling potato that holds its shape well when cooked. Kipflers have a buttery nutty taste making them ideal for easy egg and bacon potato salad.
Hard boiled eggs are crucial to this easy egg and bacon potato salad recipe. After all what’s a potato salad without egg? Nothing in our book. And plenty of them! This is the best part with all that egg swathed with the mayonnaise. Delicious!
Check out some more of our delicious salads
- thai smoked chicken and papaya salad
- chilli caramel salmon salad
- prawn, pesto and chargrilled capsicum pasta
- thai chicken larb salad
- quick tuna and cannellini bean salad
What’s your favourite potato salad recipe? Leave a comment below and let us know!
This easy egg and bacon potato salad recipe is sensational. It's everything you'd want from a potato salad with loads of egg and bacon. Delish!
condensed milk mayonnaise
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk
- 2 heaped teaspoons dry mustard powder or wet hot english mustard
- malt vinegar 1/2 cup
- salt 1/2 teaspoon
- fine white pepper 1/2 teaspoon
- 2 pounds (1 kg) kipfler or other waxy potatoes
- 3 large rashers bacon sliced into 1/2 inch (1 1/2 cm) pieces
- 4 spring onions (shallots) thinly sliced
- 10 sweet and sour gherkins cut into small pieces
- 6 whole eggs boiled till hard and grated - see notes
- 1/2 medium red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise - see notes
condensed milk mayonnaise
- pour condensed milk into a small bowl
- add vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper
- whisk till thoroughly blended
- refrigerate till needed
- note: mayonnaise will thicken as it chills
- make mayonnaise, then pop it in the fridge
- peel and cut potatoes into 1 inch (2 1/2 cm) pieces
- boil till tender, then drain
- place potatoes into a large bowl
- while potatoes are cooking boil eggs to hard boiled stage
- peel and grate eggs
- add egg, spring onions (shallots), gherkins and red onion to potato
- add mayonnaise and gently mix
- panfry bacon till brown and crispy
- plate potato salad
- sprinkle with hot bacon
- serve and enjoy!
- grate eggs on largest holes of grater as this then blends the yolk with the whites
- refrigerating the mayonnaise before using thickens the mayonnaise
- you may need a little more mayonnaise depending on your potatoes
Amount Per Serving Calories 372Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 162mgSodium 875mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 1gSugar 10gProtein 9g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.