Roasted Sweet Potato Avocado and Pickled Ginger Salad smacks of full-on flavours. Roasted, and caramelised sweet potato, nutty avocado, sweet pickled ginger, and a host of fresh ingredients, all doused with a fantastic basil dressing. Seriously, what’s not to love?
This salad is incredibly popular. It’s healthy and very substantial, just on its own. Though, we particularly love it served alongside some marinated chicken or thick, firm white-fleshed fish, such as snapper. Delish!
We have been making this salad from the Sunshine Coast’s famous Spirit House restaurant for years. The Spirit House Cookbook was first released back in 2004, and our Mum, Noela, gave us both a copy, hot off the press.
Spirit house cooking classes
We have been to the Spirit House cooking classes on a few occasions. The last time was for our brother Bob’s birthday.
We enrolled for the course under the names of Martha (hostess with the mostest), Nigella, (domestic goddess), because she would be loads of fun…..looking at you Trace), Delia, just because she is so prim and proper, and every recipe just works, and lastly Bob was enrolled as Manu, after a popular and very handsome, French-born celebrity chef in Australia.
We were given a sideways, raised eyebrow look from the fabulous owner Helen Brierty, when the name tags were written out, but she cottoned onto the fun of it all. Very sadly, Helen has passed away since our last visit, but the Spirit House continues with their passion for amazing Thai food and group cooking adventures.
It was loads of fun cooking a class called ‘Dude Food’. We thoroughly recommend a group cooking class if you’re looking for a fun group foodie outing. Check it out when you are next in this part of the world. You won’t be disappointed!
Subscribe to our newsletter and follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all of the latest updates..
Super easy to prepare ahead
This popular roasted sweet potato avocado and pickled ginger salad gets trotted out regularly for Summer, or cooler weather gatherings. It is so easy to have the salad ingredients sliced and ready, the sweet potato roasted, leaving only the avocado to be sliced on the day just before serving. Simply make your dressing, and slice and prepare the vegetables beforehand ready for dressing the following day. Too easy!
The basil dressing
This basil dressing is crazy good, and utterly delicious. We have served this dressing with hot waxy Kipfler potatoes, and also thrown it into salads with an array of green veggies….think asparagus, green beans, zucchini and snow peas or tossed with ripe tomatoes and cucumbers for a simple, but delicious salad. It just works and delivers.
Watch How To Make Roasted Sweet Potato Avocado and Pickled Ginger Salad
Check out some more winning salad recipes
click on the link….Authentic Thai beef Salad
click on the link …..White Peach and Prosciutto salad
click on this link…..Easy Egg and Bacon Potato Salad
click on the link…..Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Garlic Yoghurt Dressing
click on the link…..Mango and Red Onion Salad
What’s your favourite salad recipe? Have you tried our Roasted Sweet Potato Avocado and Pickled Ginger Salad?
We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this delicious salad of roasted sweet potato avocado and pickled ginger salad.
Roasted Sweet Potato, Avocado and Pickled Ginger Salad smacks of full on flavours. Roasted, and caramelised sweet potato, nutty avocado, sweet pickled ginger and a host of fresh ingredients, all doused with a fantastic basil dressing. Seriously, what is not to love?
- 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped ginger
- 2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 shallots (scallions), roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into 2 cm (3/4 inch) pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 good handfuls rocket (arugula) or mesclun mix
- 1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
- handful of cherry or baby roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium Lebanese (Persian) cucumber sliced
- 1 small red onion, peeled, halved and sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- combine all ingredients into a blender and whiz to emulsify
- preheat oven to 180 c (350 f) on bake, not fan
- peel and slice sweet potatoes, then toss in oil and salt
- spread potato slices evenly onto a baking sheet
- roast for 15 minutes, then turn pieces over and roast for a further 10-15 minutes, till golden
- remove sweet potato pieces from oven and cool
- combine salad ingredients in a large bowl, add cooled sweet potaotes
- pour 1/2 cup of the dressing over the salad and mix till combined
- serve and enjoy!
- dressing makes more than is required for this salad
- dressing keeps well for 3-4 days
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g
Cooper loves water, so when the chance to have a swim comes his way it’s very hard to discourage him. This is the result, he went for a mud swim in a dam that was all but dry. Cooper ‘STINKS’, despite several shampoos.