Apple frangipane tart is easy to make. We love a good apple tart and the frangipane almond base is super easy. It is an almond pastry cream and is rich and velvety and pairs beautifully with apples. Tart heaven!
We threw a ladies Melbourne Cup lunch and this was our dessert. Super quick to prepare using store bought pastry. Everyone wanted the recipe which is always great because you know they all enjoyed it.
Jen is our resident pastry chef, but there are times that a girl just wants a stunning dessert in less time than she has. We are lucky enough to buy Careme artisan brand pastry here in Australia, that is hand crafted shortcrust pastry made with butter. At any rate, the important thing is to find a brand that is made using butter, not margarine.
Most apples will work for this frangipane tart. We used a large granny smith apple.
scroll down for the apple frangipane tart recipe
Check out more winning apple desserts
What’s your favourite apple dessert? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this delicious apple frangipane tart.
- store bought ready rolled shortcrust pastry - we used Carême ready rolled pastry
- 1 cup (225 g) (8 ounces) caster sugar
- 230 g (8 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 140 g ground almonds (almond flour) 1 1/3 cup
- 1 large granny smith apple, cored and cut into thin slices using a vegetable peeler
- 2 whole eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 extra tablespoons ground almonds (almond flour)
- preheat oven to 180 c (355 f) bake not fan forced
- line a 24 cm (9 1/2 inch) flan tart tin with pastry
- with a fork prick the base of the pastry about 12 times
- refrigerate for an 1 hour - chilling the pastry after handling, helps pastry to relax and reduces shrinkage during baking
- trim excess pastry from pie shell by running a sharp knife around the top edge of tart tin
apple frangipane tart
- cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy
- scrape sides of bowl and add gradually eggs and yolks and mix to combine
- add the almond meal (almond flour) and mix to combine
- add flour and mix to combine
- beat extra egg and using a pastry brush paint the pastry shell - this helps to seal moisture
- sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of extra ground almonds (almond flour) evenly on the base of the pastry shell - see notes
- spread frangipane evenly into the prepared tart crust
- slice apple into thin slices using a vegetable peeler
- arrange the apple slices starting with the outside edge and work your way to the centre - see notes
- sprinkle extra sugar evenly over apple slices
- bake until filling is set (about 45 minutes) - start checking around the 40 minute mark
- cool to room temperature
- serve and enjoy!
- sprinkling the base of the tart shell with extra ground almonds (almond flour) helps to absorb some of the moisture from the frangipane
- when slicing the apple, work quickly as the apples will start to turn brown
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g