Caramelised onion and blue cheese mini quiche are a little flavour bomb. Sweet, mellow caramelised onion, combined with salty blue cheese, bathed in cream and eggs and crispy butter puff pastry. What’s not to like?
Blue cheese is perfect when paired with something a little sweet, think blue cheese and fresh dates or blue with quince paste. The onions add their own sugar when gently sautéed till they’re soft and adding a hit of brown sugar and balsamic really revs up the flavour.
You can use a store bought onion jam as the base for these little tarts and really cut down on the prep time.
Butter puff pastry
Look out for butter puff pastry, rather than pastry made using margarine for a delicious flaky case.
You can make these little beauties ahead of time and freeze them. Simply prepare them and freeze them in the tray unbaked. Once they are frozen pop them out of the tin and put in a ziplock bag in the freezer.
When you’re ready to bake them pop them back in the mini muffin tin and bake for about five minutes longer than the recipe. Got to love being ahead of the game!
Scroll to the bottom of the post for Caramelised Onion and Blue cheese Mini Quiche
Check out these winning tart recipes
click on the link…..Cheese Puff Tarts
click on the link…..Cheese, Spinach and Bacon Puffs
click on the link…..Crustless Smoked Salmon and Leek Quiche
click on the link…..Zucchini and Bacon Slice
What’s your favourite quiche flavours?
We would love to hear from you in the comments below. when you make these tasty caramelised onion and blue cheese mini quiche.
Caramelised onion and blue cheese mini quiche are a little flavour bomb. Sweet, mellow caramelised onion, combined with salty blue cheese, bathed in cream and eggs and crispy butter puff pastry. What's not to like?
- 2 sheets ready made butter puff pastry, thawed
- 5 medium red onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 50g (1 1/2 ounces) butter
- 1/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4-5 sprigs of thyme, leaves stripped from stem
- 3 large whole eggs
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 60g (2 ounces) of blue cheese, whatever you fancy, or other cheese if you don't like blue cheese
- in a large pan over medium heat add oil and butter
- add onions when butter has melted
- stir every few minutes for about twenty minutes until onions have softened and changed colour
- add in sugar, vinegar and thyme stirring till incorporated
- cook onions for a further 5 minutes then tilt pan so that the oil drains from the onion
- discard drained oil
- remove pastry from freezer and allow to thaw
- use a 6cm (2 1/2 inch) cookie cutter and cut discs of pastry
- spray a mini muffin tin lightly with oil
- place pastry into muffin holes
- preheat oven to 220c (430f) on bake, not fan
- place eggs, cream, salt and pepper into a jug or bowl and beat till eggs are incorporated
- place a scant teaspoon of onions into base of pastry
- add small pieces of blue cheese onto onions
- pour cream and egg mixture into pastry shells
- bake on middle shelf for 15 minutes and check if they're cooked, if not cook for a couple of minutes longer
- serve and enjoy!
- mini quiche can be frozen before baking and popped into a zip lock bag, then returned to the muffin tin when you're ready to bake
- you can use store bought onion jam rather than saute your own
- use whatever cheese you like, as any cheese and caramelised onion just works
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g