Zucchini and bacon slice is one of those recipes that’s been around for ages. It makes perfect lunchbox and picnic fare and is an easy and wonderful recipe for children to help prepare. It’s like a cross between a crustless quiche and a frittata. Too easy!
We grew up with zucchini slice in Mumʼs kitchen as an after school snack. Itʼs super easy to make and tastes great hot or cold, which is our preference. We prefer to add bacon to the mixture for the wonderful flavour it brings but you could add diced ham or even canned salmon or tuna instead, or leave it out for a vegetable slice. Up to you.
To fry or not to fry
The recipe works superbly without firstly frying the onion and bacon but we love the caramelised notes that frying brings to the slice. Feel free to save 10 minutes and one fry pan to wash by not frying, but trust us that this step adds extra flavour to this easy to make slice.
Add different veggies
Zucchini and bacon slice can be made with what you have on hand. Try adding……
- bell peppers (capsicum)
- baby spinach leaves
- sweet potato
- crumbled feta
- pepita or sunflower seeds
You get the picture………add away!
Zucchini and bacon slice freezes well. Simply wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven or microwave.
Check out some more winning veggie recipes
click on the link for the recipe…..cauliflower with blue cheese gratin
click on the link for the recipe…..easy bread and butter pickle
click on the link for the recipe…..brussel sprouts with bacon onion and garlic
What’s your favourite slice recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this delicious zucchini and bacon slice.
Zucchini and bacon slice is super easy and quick to prepare. Sautéing the bacon and onion adds a lovely caramelised flavour to the slice. You can of course omit this step, but we love the flavour that caramelising brings to the slice.
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 4 medium zucchini trimmed and grated
- 3 small carrots peeled and grated
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 3 large rashers of bacon sliced
- 2 extra tablespoons oil for frying bacon and onion - see notes
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- preheat oven to 175 c (350 f)
- line a 22 cm (8 1/2 inch) square dish with baking paper overlapping the sides
- heat a frypan over medium - high heat
- add the 2 tablespoons oil and chopped bacon and onion
- saute for 8-10 minutes till golden - this step is optional - see notes
- add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl
- mix till thoroughly blended
- tip into baking dish
- place dish on centre shelf of oven
- bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean
- remove dish from oven and pick up baking paper overlapping sides and move to a cake rack
- serve either hot or cold
- zucchini and bacon slice freezes well
- wrap in plastic wrap and freeze
- remove from freezer and thaw in refrigerator
- frying off the bacon and onion is optional, but we recommend you do
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g