Vanilla Sponge Cake with Strawberries and Cream is a classic simple pairing of light and airy sponge, whipped cream and fresh strawberries. This recipe could not be easier to make. Itʼs all done in one bowl and your mixmaster does all the work. What’s not to like.
This recipe comes from an Australian magazine, The Women’s Weekly that ran a national sponge cake bake-off competition back in 2012, and this sponge was the winning entry.
Natalie Dick from South Australia won the competition and we’re glad she did because this sponge is an absolute winner. Our previous sponge recipe went out the door for this beauty.
It is super easy, requires just one bowl and no fancy ingredients. It is truly as light as a feather, soft, moist, with a very fine and tender crumb.
Sponge cake reputation
Sponges can have a reputation for being temperamental, but armed with a few pointers you will have success each and every bake.
- Have your oven preheated and tins greased and floured before you start to make sponge
- Sieve your measured flour and dry ingredients three times
- Butter should be soft and room temperature, but not so soft that it is oily
- Eggs have to be at room temperature
- Don’t use a skewer to test the sponge, instead gently press your fingers in the centre of the cake and if it springs back it’s ready
Growing up we lived next door to a strawberry farm where we had after school jobs in season, picking strawberries. When they were in season strawberries featured in our baking. Vanilla Sponge Cake with Strawberries and Cream is a classic and one we have been making for years.
Easy to put together, a sponge cake would be whipped up and baked in no time. Of course, living on a poultry farm ensured their was always plenty of eggs ready to whip one up.
Filling suggestions with cream
- Raspberries, blackberries, mulberries
- Passionfruit pulp
- Lemon curd
- Passionfruit curd
- Raspberry or Strawberry Jam
- Chocolate ganache
Our Mum was an excellent cook and Mum rated this sponge recipe 10/10! A great score, and we rate it the same.
Watch How To Make Vanilla Sponge Cake with Strawberries and Cream
Please scroll to the bottom for the Vanilla Sponge Cake with Strawberries and Cream recipe
Check out some more winning cake recipes
click on the link for the recipe…..Chocolate Nemesis Cake – River Cafe
click on the link for the recipe…..French Apple Cake
click on the link for the recipe…..Chocolate Almond Cake
click on the link for the recipe…..Orange and Almond Cake
click on the link for the recipe…..Edna’s Lemon Curd Cake
What’s your favourite sponge cake recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you bake our Vanilla Sponge Cake with Strawberries and Cream
- 5 1/2 ounces all purpose flour (150 grams plain flour)
- 5 1/2 ounces (150 grams) unsalted butter
- 5 1/2 ounces (150 grams) sharp tasty cheddar
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder ( or 1 teaspoon of mustard of choice)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 egg beaten lightly - this is for the biscuit glaze.
- Place all ingredients in food processor and blend for 1 minute or until all ingredients form a dough ball
- Half dough and roll into two sausage shaped logs on baking paper and roll till evenly shaped approx 1 inch ( 2 1/2 cm), twist ends of paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Logs can be frozen at this point.
- Slice logs into 1/4 inch slices and place on baking paper lined cookie sheet spacing 1 inch (2 1/2 cm) apart.
- Brush beaten egg over the top of biscuits.
- Preheat oven to 170 (bake) and cook till golden ( 10 - 15 minutes).
- Cool on oven rack.