Spicy pineapple and cranberry relish is the perfect accompaniment to leg ham. Spicy and sweet, with juicy cranberries and sweet pineapple, married with chilli and ginger. The star anise balances the sweet and spicy taste.
Perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas entertaining and it’s easy to make and serve, or make ahead and freeze.
Our family head to the banks of the Noosa river for our Christmas feast with kayaking and swimming. Everyone brings a little something to create a feast. Iʼm making this gorgeous spicy pineapple and cranberry relish to serve with our ham. Iʼll pop it in the freezer and take it out Christmas eve ready to marry with the ham on the day.
Try to buy a ripe pineapple. By that we mean one that the sugars have developed and make for a sweet pineapple. If your pineapple is a little under ripe, just adjust the amount of sugar in the recipe to taste.
Check out some winning sauces to add to your repertoire
click on the link for the recipe…..easy hollandaise sauce
click on the link for the recipe…..easy salted caramel sauce
What’s your go to relish for the holidays? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this delicious spicy pineapple and cranberry relish.
This spicy pineapple and cranberry relish is super easy to make. Chop the pineapple, onion and chilli, zest and juice the orange and throw everything into a saucepan for 30-40 minutes. Too easy!
- 1 medium ripe pineapple - see notes
- juice and zest from 1 medium navel orange
- 1/2 medium red onion finely diced
- 1 long red chilli finely sliced
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 4 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- place all ingredients in a heavy based saucepan
- bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium
- stir relish from time to time so it doesn't stick
- simmer for 30-40 minutes till mixture is 'jammy' and very little liquid remains
- remove from pan and allow to cool
- serve and enjoy!
- we have used a sweet, very ripe pineapple for this recipe
- if your pineapple is not on the sweet side, adjust the sugar amount to taste
- you can put relish into sterilised jars so you can grab a jar from the pantry
- relish freezes well
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g