Taste of Mexico
Smoky tomato salsa is easy to make and chargrilling the ingredients puts it into another league. We use this salsa on pulled beef tacos and it’s a winner. It’s also great teamed with burritos or eggs for breakfast.
The charring adds a smoky, rich flavour which is essential to create the flavour profile of Mexico, add to the charred vegetables a healthy dash of lime juice and you could be on your way to Tijuana. Oh Yeah!
Chargrilling the veggies equals flavour
Chargrilling intensifies the flavours of the vegetables. You can simply use your barbeque or kitchen griller/broiler to grill.
Check out some more winning salsa recipes
click on the link for the recipe…..mexican chargrilled corn salsa
click on the link for the recipe…..roasted tomato and chipotle salsa gluten free
What’s your favourite salsa recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this smoky tomato salsa.
This salsa has a lovely smokiness thanks to chargrilling the ingredients, and it's quick to make.
- 1/2 medium red onion, skin on
- 6 fat cloves of garlic, skin on
- 1 medium ripe tomato
- 1/2 medium red capsicum
- 1 long red chilli
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- pinch of salt
- grill onion, garlic, tomato, capsicum (bell pepper) and chilli on a chargrill plate (or griller/broiler) until completely blackened on all sides (about 15 minutes)
- pop all veggies into a plastic bag and twist the end of the bag (this allows them to steam and helps in removing the skins of the tomatoes and capsicum)
- allow to cool
- peel onion and garlic
- remove seeds and skin from tomato, capsicum and chilli
- place all vegetables in a blender with lime juice and salt
- blend till smooth
- serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g