Turn eggs and canned tomatoes into the perfect meal, with this simple and delicious Shakshuka recipe. Eggs poached in a perfectly spiced sauce with tomatoes, sweet smoked paprika, fresh chilli, onions and garlic. Throw in some smoky, fleshy kalamata olives and fresh coriander and you’re good to go. What’s not to like.
Shakshuka is a one-pan egg and tomato dish perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a midnight snack!
One important trick is to make small ‘wells’ to crack the eggs into, spacing each egg, then covering with a lid and gently let the eggs cook.
Though it’s Tunisian in origin, these days shakshuka is popular throughout the Middle East and on hip cafe menus. It’s so versatile, quick, simple and easy to scale up or down.
Our Mum Noela, was making this years before the trendy cafes of today. We had a gorgeous Tunisian lady, Nadine, working on the farm who showed Mum how to make this delicious dish.
Watch How To Make Shakshuka
Great for a brunch dish
We love to serve shakshuka for brunch with family and friends. The sauce base can be made up a couple of days in advance and using a couple of frypans means you can cook eggs for your guests as you go.
It’s delicious served with crusty bread, ready to mop up all of the delicious sauce. We have served it with our Quick No Knead Bread that has a lovely chewy crust.
Scroll down for the Shakshuka recipe.
check out some more winning breakfast/brunch recipes
click on the link for the recipe…..Breakfast Strata
click on the link for the recipe…..Sweet Corn Fritters
click on the link for the recipe…..Avocado and Edamame Smash
click on the link for the recipe…..Crustless Smoked Salmon and Leek Quiche
click on the link for the recipe…..Bacon, Zucchini and Corn Slice
What’s your go-to egg recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into small dice
- 8 fat cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g (2 x 14 ounce) cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 6 whole eggs
- salt and pepper to season
- 3/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- in a large frypan heat oil over medium to high heat
- add onion, garlic and chilli
- saute for 8-10 minutes (add a little more oil if necessary)
- add tomatoes, paprika, salt and pepper
- simmer sauce for 10 minutes so that the sauce thickens
- make a 'well' using the back of a spoon in the sauce
- crack egg into the well and continue making wells and adding eggs
- pop lid on the frypan and cook to your desired doneness (runny is best)
- using a large spoon remove eggs and sauce onto serving plate
- sprinkle with olives and coriander
- serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 312Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 203mgSodium 599mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 13g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.