Nutty bolts – moreish, crunchy and spicy
Nutty Bolts are a winner to have on hand for the holidays. Moreish, crunchy and spicy they’re the perfect nibble to have with a glass of bubbles or a cold beer. Nutty Bolts were an ’80’s trend, but, as we know a good retro recipe never tires.
We love preparing ahead for the holidays and Nutty Bolts freeze extremely well in an airtight container. Simply remove the Nutty Bolts from the freezer and they’re ready to serve.
Make Nutty Bolts your own
When swapping fruits and nuts around, try to keep the ratio the same.
Try different nut combinations
- add whatever nuts you like
- try just peanuts or almonds
Mix up the fruit combinations
- sultanas or golden raisins
- dried apricots
Check out some more winning nibble recipes
We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make these moreish nutty bolts.
Spicy, crunchy and moreish Nutty Bolts are a perfect nibble to have for over the holidays. They freeze perfectly, so can be made in advance of the rush. Swap out the nuts or cereal to make your own version.
- nutrigrain cereal 4 cups
- mixed nuts 2 cups
- raisins 1 cup
- vegetable oil 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- curry powder 1 teaspoon
- garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon
- french onion soup mix 1 x 35 grams (1 1/4 oz) packet
french onion soup mix
- white pepper 1/2 teaspoon
- preheat oven to 150 c (300 f) on bake, not fan
- in a large baking dish add oil and nutrigrain tossing to coat
- place baking tray into oven on middle shelf
- set your timer for 3 minutes then remove nutrigrain and give it all a good toss and return to oven
- cook for 20-25 minutes, still tossing every 2-3 minutes till nutrigrain takes on a golden colour - see notes
- remove pan from oven
- add all other ingredients tossing thoroughly
- leave to cool
- serve and enjoy!
- nutty bolts freezes well
- it's important to turn then every two to three minutes as they will burn quickly
Cooper from the beginning loved to be close, which was fine when he was so small……….