MACARONI WITH SALAMI TOMATO AND MUSHROOM PASTA BAKE
Macaroni with Salami, Tomato and Mushrooms… and of course a cheesy sauce to bind it all together. Topped off with large chunky bread crumbs, all golden with melted cheese. Need I say more. Checked out the weather forecast and just knew we would be needing serious comfort food. Big time and real soon! This is just about the ultimate comfort food around. Cheesy, hot, breadcrumbs, pasta ….lip smacking yum, yum, yum…..Perfect for when the weather turns all cold and horrible.
Okay, after a quick scrounge around the fridge we came up with some hot and spicy sopressa salami, smoked semi-dried tomatoes and mushrooms. I’m doing a really big happy dance in my head right now. This is going to completely deliver cold weather comfort food bliss.
We are huge fans of always having the pantry stocked and the freezer storing interesting bits and pieces to let the imagination create and conjure. Think little parcels of bacon, sausage, salami, pesto, chorizo, cheese…..all waiting and ready for making up tasty comfort foods. Nothing says comfort more than a bowl of this delicious spicy salami, tomato with mushroom macaroni cheese. Another great winter warmer we think you’ll love is cauliflower pasta bake with bacon and mushrooms BIG FAT YUM!
Make no mistake this is a pasta bake. The sort of dish that almost demands cold weather and hungry mouths to feed. It can be made ahead and frozen ready to take from the freezer, thaw and bake. Delivering a bubbling, cheesy and golden plate of deliciousness.
What’s your go to comfort food? Have you tried our Macaroni with Salami, Tomato and Mushrooms? Let us know in the comments below.
Macaroni with Salami, Tomato and Mushroom
Macaroni with salami, tomato and mushroom is a dish best made when absolute comfort food is called for. The colder or wetter weather the better!
- 20 fl ounces (600 ml) full cream milk
- extra 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 ounces (40g) butter
- 1 1/2 ounces (40g) all purpose flour (plain flour) or gluten free option
- 1/2 teaspoon fine white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- 3 1/2 ounces (100g) tasty cheddar cheese grated
- 7 ounces (200g) hot or mild sopressa salami (we used hot)
- 5 ounces (150g) semi dried tomatoes
- 10 ounces (300g) button mushrooms sliced
- 2 ounces butter
- 12 ounces (350 g) macaroni pasta or gluten free option
- 5 ounces (150 g) tasty cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup home made chunky breadcrumbs - see note or gluten free option
- baking dish 8"x 13" (20cm x 34cm)
- place milk, butter, flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg into a medium saucepan
- heat on medium to high until sauce thickens, stirring (about 5 minutes)
- add cheese and heat and stir until cheese melts
- add an additional cup of milk stirring through
- cook macaroni per packet instructions for 3 minutes less than the time stated - see notes
- drain and rinse macaroni under cold running water to stop the cooking - see note
- saute mushrooms in butter until browned
- mix salami, tomatoes and mushrooms with sauce
- tip into baking dish
- scatter cheese evenly over top of pasta
- sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over top
- bake in preheated 365 f (185 c) oven on the middle shelf till golden and bubbling
- we used a strong ciabatta crusty bread and handcut into 1/2 inch (1 1/4 cm) cubes
- undercook the macaroni as it finishes cooking in the oven
- freezes well
Amount Per Serving Calories 827Total Fat 47gSaturated Fat 28gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 135mgSodium 684mgCarbohydrates 77gFiber 5gSugar 7gProtein 25g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.