Homemade merguez sausages are full of attitude thanks to the harissa, paprika, garlic and other spices with which theyʼre made. Merguez are a powerhouse of spicy lamb making them one of the tastiest sausages around.
Merguez are found all over North Africa and are hugely popular in France. Itʼs really easy to make up the mixture and serve them with our mint and lemon yogurt. Yum!
We love to make this using lamb mince (ground) and we will often make up a mix for barbequing. Grab a heap of friends and flatbreads, some red onion, mint, olives, tomato,……and let everyone help themselves. Too easy!
Today we have rolled these and let them hang out in the fridge overnight (optional) to let the flavour develop further, a quick panfry, then oven baked.
Check out some more winning mince (ground meat) recipes
click on the link for the recipe…..stir fried pork and sesame noodles
click on the link for the recipe…..thai chicken larb salad
smoky chilli con carne
click on the link for the recipe…..smoky chilli con carne – gluten free
What’s your favourite mince (ground meat) recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make these delicious, spicy homemade merguez sausages.
Homemade merguez sausages are full of flavour thanks to the harissa, garlic and loads of spices.
- 500g lamb mince (ground) (1 pound)
- 2 fat cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 80g fresh white breadcrumbs (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- put all ingredients into a large bowl
- using your hands mix until combined
- shape sausages into eight 10 cm ( 4 inch) pieces
- refrigerate the mixture for half an hour or overnight for the flavours to marry
- preheat oven to 200 c (390 f)
- heat a frypan on medium-high heat and fry sausages for 2-3 minutes until brown all over
- transfer sausages to a small tray and bake for 10 minutes or until cooked through
- serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 311Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 73mgSodium 455mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 21g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.