Haloumi Fries with roasted garlic, anchovy and caper sauce
Our recipe for haloumi fries with roasted garlic, anchovy and caper sauce is fantastic. The piquant Roasted garlic, anchovy and caper sauce is delicious teamed with the chewy, salty, golden crumbed fried haloumi . Itʼs going to win you over!
OMG, if you havenʼt tried haloumi you are going to freak at this cheeses versatility. It fries, grills, bakes, shreds, deep fries and is so adaptable for umpteen dishes. Haloumi doesnʼt melt, it softens instead to become cheesy ‘magicʼ.
Our recipe for haloumi fries with roasted garlic, anchovy and caper sauce is a complete winner! Hot, golden crumbed, chewy, salty haloumi. Topped with roasted red capsicum strips, slivers of raw red onion topped with this amazing sharp, zingy lemony sauce all served on a crisp cos lettuce leaf. Amazing!
EASTER WITH FAMILY
We recently hosted a Greek themed Easter lunch for family and these haloumi fries with roasted capsicum, onion and a sauce of roasted garlic, anchovy and caper sauce was our starter. The crispy cos leaves serve as the perfect edible plates, no washing up….perfect!
Subscribe to our newsletter and follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
These haloumi fries with roasted garlic, anchovy and caper sauce are the perfect starter for do ahead prep. The haloumi, sauce and capsicums can be prepped a couple of days ahead, with the onion sliced and lettuce washed the day before. With the haloumi taking only minutes to cook, itʼs handy to seek out a trusted barbeque cook to take care of these while you enjoy your guests.
Do you have favourite recipes for when you’re entertaining large numbers that allow you to relax knowing all the hard work is done?
We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this delicious Haloumi Fries with Roasted Garlic, Anchovy and Caper Sauce
Haloumi Fries with Roasted Garlic, Anchovy and Caper Sauce
These golden fried fingers of salty, chewy haloumi topped with a zingy roasted garlic, anchovy and caper sauce is a winner!
- 18 oz (500g) haloumi cheese
- 4 tablespoons all purpose (plain) flour or gluten free plain flour
- 2 whole eggs lightly whisked
- 2 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs or your favourite gluten free alternative crumb
ROAST GARLIC SAUCE
- 6 fat cloves of roasted garlic - see notes
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1 heaped tablespoon salted baby capers - rinsed of salt
- 1 cup italian parsley leaves without stems
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- roasted capsicum strips
- slivers of fresh red (spanish) onion
- lemon wedges
ROAST GARLIC SAUCE
- process garlic, anchovies, lemon rind, lemon juice and olive oil till smooth
- add parsley and pulse 4-5 times
- add capers and pulse 4-5 times
- season with fresh ground pepper
- we're looking for some texture with this sauce which is why ingredients are added separately. Alternately you can hand chop the parsley and add the baby capers whole if using.
- cut haloumi into 1/2 inch ( 1 1/4 cm) slices ,then cut in half to give you 'fingers'
- dust haloumi with flour
- dip floured haloumi into egg, then cover with panko crumbs
- continue until all pieces are crumbed, then cover and refrigerate until ready to fry
- when ready to fry heat extra virgin olive oil on medium heat ( drop a few breadcrumbs into oil to check that you have an immediate sizzle, if not heat oil for longer)
- fry haloumi till golden brown then turn over.
- fry sides of haloumi and when golden lift onto plate with a couple of pieces of hand towel to drain for a minute or so
- serve with roasted garlic, anchovy and caper sauce
- Roast garlic - simply separate cloves and wrap in foil. Place parcel in 350F (180 C) oven and roast for 35-45 minutes or until soft and sweet. When cooked you make a small slit in garlic cloves and peel garlic skin away . The garlic becomes soft and sweet once roasted.
Amount Per Serving Calories 249Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 50mgSodium 397mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 10g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.