Curried lentil, tomato and coconut soup is a little winner. Healthy and hearty, spicy and straightforward, frugal and made with pantry ingredients. A good hit of curry powder, and spicy with the dried chilli flakes, then completely lifted with fresh lime juice.
keep calm and make soup
With news changing each day, and updates on the coronavirus, things seem uncertain and real at the same time. Here in Australia each state and territory has closed their borders. We have been told to not go on holidays over Easter, and yesterday every pub, cafe, restaurant, gym and movie theatre shut down, leaving hundreds of thousands of people without a job.
We are in stay at home mode and cooking from the pantry and freezer is going to become the new norm.
Our friend Elle gave us this Yotam Ottolenghi recipe, and now having made it ourselves we know why she passed the recipe on. It’s made from pantry ingredients, it’s delicious and easy, and going into Winter we know there will be a lot of soup made, and eaten.
If you’ve got dried lentils, a tin of coconut milk and canned tomatoes in your pantry you’re pretty much on your way to making this tasty, warming and healthy soup.
Super easy to make
Seriously, this soup couldn’t be easier to make. Grate some ginger, chop an onion, crush some garlic and open a couple of cans. Too easy!
Watch How To Make It
Please scroll down to the bottom for the Curried Lentil Tomato and Coconut Soup.
Check out some more winning and warming soup recipes
click on the link for the recipe…..Cauliflower Soup with Burnt Butter – Gluten Free
click on the link for the recipe…..Roasted Tomato and Garlic Soup
click on the link for the recipe…..Hearty Chicken, Vegetable and Lentil Soup
click on the link for the recipe…..Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
click on the link for the recipe…..Harira Soup – Spicy Lamb, Lentil and Vegetable Soup. GF
What soup are you cooking up?
We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this outstanding and delicious curried lentil tomato and coconut soup.
Curried Lentil, Tomato and Coconut Soup
This healthy tasty soup is made in about 40 minutes. Perfect for a quick dinner with some crusty bread or thick toast.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 fat cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 5 cm (2 1/2 inch) piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons medium dry curry powder - we used Clive of India brand
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 400g (14 ounce) can of chopped tomatoes
- 400g (14 ounce) can of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly milled black pepper
- fresh lime to serve
- heat oil over medium heat and add onion
- cook onion till tinged brown and softened (about 10 minutes)
- add garlic, ginger, curry powder and chilli and stir for about 2 minutes
- add the lentils and tomatoes
- set aside 1/4 cup of coconut milk for garnishing
- add stock, coriander, salt, pepper and remaining coconut milk bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer
- stir frequently as those little lentils will want to stick to the base of the pan and we don't want that
- cook for 20-25 until lentils are soft, but not mushy
- check seasoning
- serve drizzled with the reserved coconut milk, fresh coriander and lime
- soup freezes well
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g