Chocolate and almond toffee dates are divine! OMG! They are a complete winner. Fresh, plump and soft Madjool dates filled with a silky and creamy chocolate ganache, stuffed with whole roasted almonds, then dipped in a toffee casing…..perfect for the holidays! You have to make these!
Our brother Bobʼs partner Tanya, canʼt get enough of these chocolate and almond toffee dates, and who can blame her. A thin toffee crust lets you bite into the date with a quick crack of toffee, then the soft, jammy date and then through to the rich chocolate ganache with the final follow through of roasted crunchy almonds…..Bliss! You can’t stop at one! I just messaged Tanya a photo of them saying I was thinking of her, and they’re ready to pick up and devour. She can’t wait!
We like to hand select plump, good looking dates that are moist, soft and sticky sweet.
Chocolate ganache is rich, smooth and silky and super easy to make. Melt some chocolate, add cream and butter stir till blended, finished! Leftover ganache can be frozen.
Ways to use chocolate ganache
- dipping strawberries
- piping onto cupcakes
- filling layer cakes
- topping for brownies
- rolling in cocoa powder to make truffles
- as a frosting
- eat it straight from the bowl….
Make ahead and do the 10 minute toffee finale
You can stuff the dates ahead of time and just make a caramel before you want to serve. Too easy!
Work quickly once your toffee is ready
Once the toffee is ready you have to work super fast. Have your tongs, tray with cake rack and dates ready. As soon as you have finished dipping all of the dates sprinkle with the chopped almonds before the toffee has time to set.
Check out some more winning sweet things to make
click on the link for the recipe…..chocolate almond cookies
We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make these delicious chocolate and almond toffee dates.
Fresh, plump and soft madjool dates filled with a silky chocolate ganache, stuffed with roasted almonds, then dipped in a thin toffee coating. What's not to like?
- 150 g (5 ounces) dark chocolate
- 50 g (2 ounces) butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup cream
- 4 pinches of sea salt flakes (optional)
- 20 large fresh dates
- 40 whole almonds, roasted
- 350 g (12 ounces) white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped almonds - optional
- kitchen tongs for dipping the dates into the toffee
- flat baking sheet lined with baking paper and cake rack
- cake rack lightly sprayed with oil to place toffee dipped dates onto
- melt chocolate in a double saucepan over simmering water
- when melted whisk in butter and cream
- allow to cool in fridge for 30 minutes
- slit dates with a small sharp knife along one side and remove pip
- spread a good teaspoon of the ganache into the centre of the date
- pop 2 almonds alongside each other on ganache
- gently reform the date
- place filled dates in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up
- combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and stir over low heat till sugar has dissolved
- when sugar has dissolved raise the heat and boil without stirring
- when toffee is a light amber colour remove pan from heat now you have to move very quickly as the toffee continues to darken - see notes
- working quickly, dip dates into toffee using tongs, shake the date of extra caramel covering the whole date and immediately place on cake rack
- sprinkle with finely chopped almonds while toffee is still hot - optional
- when cool remove and trim with a sharp knife any excess skirt of caramel
- serve and enjoy!
Note: You will have a fine old mess of toffee stuck to your tongs. Simply fill your toffee pot with water and the tongs and heat till sugar has dissolved. Too easy!
- you need to be super organised before dipping the filled dates into the toffee
- have ready your dates, tongs, baking sheet and move very quickly as the toffee keeps darkening off the stove
- dates can be frozen prior to dipping in toffee
- allow to thaw in the fridge and proceed with dipping into the toffee
- recipe makes far more ganache than needed
- ganache can be frozen
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g