Quick, easy and delicious chicken, asparagus and ginger stir fry is a winner. Youʼve got to love a stir fry as everything comes together so fast. Of course, all the prep needs to be done but 10 minutes of chopping and youʼre good to go.
Perfect for mid-week dinner all in one wok or pan. Check out our stir fried pork and sesame udon noodles or stir fried chicken with sweet potato thai basil and kaffir lime for more quick, easy and delicious stir fries.
Chicken, asparagus and ginger stir fry uses thigh meat as it is so moist and succulent. You can, of course, use chicken breast which is much leaner but drier. Or ring the changes with pork scotch or fillet.
Fish sauce and kecap manis
Fish sauce is a must in most Asian cuisines and particularly in Thai cooking. Its amber, strong pungent flavour has no substitute. Kecap manis is a thick, palm sugar-sweetened soy sauce that is also fabulous in rice and noodle dishes. Light or dark soy are not substitutes. Both sauces are widely available and cost just a few dollars each.
Swap out the veggies for whatever you have on hand. Think zucchini, beans, spinach, baby corn, bamboo shoots, broccoli, shitake mushrooms, snowpeas…..
A wok in the kitchen is perfect for stir fries. Cheap to purchase and made of carbon steel which is thin and distributes the heat evenly. Invest in a wok for quick stir fries that the rounded sides let you move the food about quickly, without it stewing as it would if in a flat fry pan.
What’s your favourite quick stir fry recipe! We would love to hear from you in the comments below.
Chicken stir fry with asparagus and ginger
Fast, easy and delicious chicken stir fry with asparagus and ginger is a great little recipe to add to your mid-week repertoire!
- 4 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless chicken thighs cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 fat cloves garlic finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons finely julienned ginger
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon fine white pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus cut into thirds
- 1 small red bell pepper ( red capsicum) sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews - optional
- heat oil in a wok or large fry pan till hot
- add chicken and onion stir frying for a minute
- now add fish sauce, kecap manis, sugar and pepper
- stir fry for 3 minutes
- next add asparagus, bell pepper and cashews if using
- stir fry for a further 3-4 minutes till veggies are softened
- serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 157Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 5mgSodium 1086mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 2gSugar 10gProtein 5g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.