Chicken shawarma is a fabulous recipe to cook for a crowd. Garlicky and lemon chicken marinated in loads of flavour bomb spices then oven baked for hands-free cooking. Perfect for entertaining as the chicken can be marinated the day before and the yoghurt mixed ready in the fridge. Slice up some cucumber and tomato on the day along with some pitted olives and you are good to go! You can either make some flatbreads or save time and buy them for this crowd pleasing meal. Everyone helps themselves. Too easy!
MARINATING THE CHICKEN
This could not be easier. Slice red onion, toss in the garlic, spices add lemon juice and olive oil then the chicken. Give it all a good mix to coat and cover leaving in the fridge overnight ready to pop onto a pan sheet and roast!
serving the shawarma
As chicken shawarma is a great main for a crowd it is also fabulous to lay everything on platters and let guests help themselves. Load up the chicken platter with wedges of fresh lemon and sprinkle with chopped Italian parsley. Serve with a mixed platter of cucumber slices and tomato wedges. Add a bowl of garlicky lemon yoghurt drizzled with some olive oil and dusted with cumin on top. Stack the flatbreads on another platter along with a big bowl of pitted kalamata olives. Too easy, and the colours look great. Hands-free for the host…..got to love that!
scroll down below for the chicken shawarma recipe
check out some more winning chicken recipes
click on the recipe for the recipe…..chicken yakisoba
click on the recipe for the recipe…..chicken stir fry with asparagus and ginger
click on the link for the recipe…..thai green chicken curry
click on the link for the recipe…..stir fried chicken with sweet potato and kaffir lime
click on the link for the recipe….moroccan chicken with preserved lemon
What’s your favourite chicken recipe?
- 1/3 cup (80ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (120ml) plus 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- 6 fat cloves garlic, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 pound (1 kilo) boneless chicken thighs
- 2 medium (approximately 10 oz or 300 gms) red onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Marinade - Combine lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, red pepper flakes in a large bowl, & whisk to combine. Add chicken & coat evenly with marinade ingredients. Cover & refrigerate for 1 hour & up to 12 hours.
- When ready to cook, heat oven to 425 degrees ( 220c ). Use the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to grease a rimmed sheet pan. Remove the chicken and onion from the marinade, and place on the pan, spreading everything evenly across it.
- Put the chicken in the oven and bake until browned, crisp at the edges and cooked through, about 20 - 25 minutes and onions are soft. Remove from the oven, allow to rest 2 minutes, then slice into thin slices across the grain. (To make the chicken even more crisp, set a large pan over high heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, then the sliced chicken, and sauté until everything curls tight in the heat.) Scatter the parsley over the top and serve with pita, hot sauce, yogurt, sliced red onion, olives, lemon, sliced tomato and cucumber.
Amount Per Serving Calories 211Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 83mgSodium 648mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 17g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.