These crisp and buttery cheese and caraway shortbread biscuits are ridiculously easy to make. Just throw everything in the food processor whiz for a minute, roll, slice, bake and voila these cheesy little bites are ready to go. So simple and very affordable you’ll resist buying an expensive pack of gourmet biscuits for these tasty little bites.
We often have a roll in the freezer for a perfect go to snack when visitors pop by. Simply remove the roll from the freezer, thaw for 15 minutes, slice and bake!
They make the perfect gift to take along to a party, cheese and caraway biscuits are always appreciated. Perfect for taking on a picnic, handing around at a barbeque or munching quietly with a glass of wine. Their irresistible moreish appeal will have everyone asking for the recipe.
The cheese can be any flavoursome cheese you have on hand, Gouda, Parmesan, Manchego, pecorino or even soft and spicy blue cheeses like Castello, Gorgonzola, Maytag blue and Danish blue. Cheese such as bries or Camembert are not suitable as there is just not enough depth of flavour. Think punchy strong flavours and you’re on the money for flavoursome little bickies.
Mix it up with additions of fennel seeds, chilli flakes, paprika, dried onion flakes or cayenne.
These slice and bake little cheese and caraway shortbread biscuits are quick, easy, affordable and delicious. What’s not to like?
check out some more winning cheese biscuits
Parmesan crisps truly make the most simple yet elegant snack. Perfect with a glass of bubbles or wine. These little babies are a snack to make using store bought grated Parmesan. Perfect for the holiday season and ridiculously easy to make.
Parmesan and rosemary shortbread are exactly that, rich buttery shortbread loaded with parmesan and scented with rosemary. A shortbread that takes about two minutes, yep two minutes to make, and then another 12-15 minutes to bake. What’s not to like.
Do you have a favourite cheese biscuit bite that you love to bake? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make these moreish little cheese and caraway shortbread biscuits.
These easy to make cheese and caraway shortbread biscuits make the perfect little snack to serve with a glass of bubbles before dinner. They are delicate and delectable little morsels full of cheese and the caraway adds a hint of aniseed flavour.
- 4 ounces (120 g) sharp tasty cheddar - see notes
- 4 ounces (120 g ) chilled butter - grated
- 4 ounces (120 g) all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1 teaspoon hot mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fine white pepper
- 1 tablespoon lightly toasted caraway seeds
- 1 beaten egg for glazing
- preheat oven to 375 f (190 c) on bake not fan
- place all ingredients except egg into food processor bowl
- blitz for a minute
- divide mixture into two
- make a long sausage by placing mixture onto baking paper and rolling with the paper till you have a long smooth sausage shape
- slice shortbread into thin discs and place on a sheet pan with baking paper
- beat whole egg and brush biscuits- optional
- bake for 10-12 minutes till golden and crispy
- serve and enjoy!
- the choice of cheese should be for a full flavoured cheese preferably with a good sharp flavour
- brushing with the egg gives the shortbread a lovely sheen
Amount Per Serving Calories 9Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 5mgSodium 31mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 1g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.