Cheats gourmet sausage rolls are a snack to make. By cheats, we mean grab some gourmet artisan flavoured sausages. Remove the skin and lay the meat on your puff pastry, brush with egg and bake. Too easy!
Sausage rolls are always a party favourite. Our Mum was renowned for her sausage rolls and there was always trays of them in her freezer. Sadly, mum never wrote down her recipes so we can’t pass on her recipe.
What sausages to use?
Any sausage you fancy. Try to use gourmet artisan sausage that has some spices or flavour that is pronounced or vary the sausages and get a variety of flavours.
Introduce some extra flavour by spreading the pastry with a tasty chutney or relish. We like to use a spicy tomato relish which boosts the sausage roll flavour.
Look for store bought puff pastry made with butter, as it tastes better than margarine. We used Pampas butter puff pastry which comes in frozen 24 cm (9 1/2 inch) square sheets.
Check out some more winning finger foods
click on the link for the recipe…..parmesan crisps
click on the link for the recipe…..cheese puff tarts
What’s your favourite cheats recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make these cheats gourmet sausage rolls.
Cheats Gourmet Sausage Rolls
Delicious sausage rolls made in minutes and baked till golden brown and flaky. Use whatever sausages you like.
- 8 fat gourmet sausages of your choice
- 2 sheets butter puff pastry - see notes
- 1 egg beaten with a tablespoon of water (for glazing)
- fennel or caraway seeds - optional
- preheat oven to 200 c (390 f) on bake, not fan
- half pastry sheets with a sharp knife in one cut - see notes
- run a knife along the sausage and remove the skin
- place 2 sausages on one side of the pastry
- brush the opposite side of the pastry with beaten egg
- roll sausages and pastry over to egg side and seal
- score the top of pastry with a sharp knife
- brush with beaten egg
- sprinkle with seeds if using
- cut into pieces of your size choice
- bake for 20 minutes till pastry is golden and flaky
- serve and enjoy!
- use a sharp knife to cut pastry in one clean cut, if you drag the knife it affects the puffiness of the pastry
- sausage rolls can be frozen prior to baking
- we used puff pastry that was square sheets of butter puff pastry measuring 24 cm (9 1/2 inches)
Amount Per Serving Calories 67Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 18mgSodium 152mgCarbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 2g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.
I used italian pork sausages with leek and fennel and the sausage rolls were delicious. Great recipe for cold winter’s day. Thanks Jo and Jen.
Hi Helen, yes any good flavoured sausage will work for these sausage rolls. Your pork combination sounds delish. Thanks for commenting. Regards, Jo and Jen