Bell peppers with garlic and anchovies ready to be devoured
Chargrilled bell peppers with garlic and anchovies is one our favourite recipes to make when we have a crowd. These chargrilled bell peppers with garlic and anchovies is incredibly versatile with its smoky, appetising flavours.
Use as an antipasto course with chargrilled sourdough bread for a delicious Italian bruschetta topping. Everyone helps themselves. Too easy! Or chopped and mixed through hot fusilli pasta with some cherry tomatoes, fresh torn basil leaves and a good dusting of parmesan. Summer in a bowl and perfect for a crowd!
Chargrilled bell peppers
Peppers can be charred on the barbeque, Chargrilled bell peppers-capsicums, roasted or done over smoky coals to achieve the soft, sweet flesh that adds an amazing flavour boost from the blackened skin.
A word of warning to the uninitiated….NEVER rinse peppers after peeling the charred skin off. Rinsing will completely dilute the amazing sweet, smoky flavours. The appeal of little bits of charred goodness adds to the overall taste.
Try adding to a pizza with torn fresh mozzarella and sweet basil or whizzed through your hummus to make a delicious dip. Ring the changes for Caprese salad by replacing tomatoes with these chargrilled peppers. Delicious! Just donʼt forget the crusty bread.
The delicious oil that the peppers are marinating in doesnʼt go to waste. All that lovely garlic, anchovy, chilli, olive oil and the sweet residual juices of the peppers is perfect tossed through spaghetti. Add a handful of chopped Italian parsley or basil and some pangrattato, or grate the real deal parmesan over the top. Perfect for an easy Sunday night meal.
- 1 chargrilled red bell pepper/ capsicum
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil per pepper/capsicum
- 2 anchovies per pepper/capsicum - roughly chopped
- 1 clove of garlic per pepper/capsicum
- 1 chilli per pepper/capsicum - see notes
Chargrilled bell peppers - capsicum
- place whole bell peppers/capsicums on chargrill plate over high heat
- cook until skin is black overall, turning as skin blackens
- remove when black all over and place bell peppers/capsicum into a plastic bag and twist top of bag to seal
- leave to 'sweat' for 10-15 minutes
- peel charred skin from flesh and halve and discard seeds and any membrane
- slice into strips ready to use
Chargrilled bell peppers with garlic and anchovies
- gently heat extra virgin olive oil on medium heat
- add anchovies and 'melt' into oil - see notes
- next add capsicum and toss with oil and anchovies
- then add garlic and chilli heating gently until garlic is golden
- turn heat off and allow flavours to marry for 15 minutes
- place into bowl and cover till ready to use
- MELTING ANCHOVIES: gently mashing and moving the anchovies about until they have dissolved into oil.
- Chilli amount depends on how spicy you like it.
Amount Per Serving Calories 1216Total Fat 90gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 61gCholesterol 108mgSodium 2294mgCarbohydrates 66gFiber 10gSugar 22gProtein 45g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.