Caramel Apple Poke Cake is super moist, perfectly spiced and studded with tender pieces of fresh apple. Add to that a creamy, rich caramel sauce that oozes through the cake and you’re in cake heaven. Apple and caramel are a classic pairing, the tart Granny Smith apples meet with the sweet caramel and perfectly balance.
Our cousin Tracy gave us this recipe but can’t recall where she got it from. Trace had mentioned this cake to us some months ago and we just hadn’t got around to making it. Well more fool us!
Trace was visiting recently and mentioned the cake again. Just happened to have some granny smith’s sitting on the bench thanks to our friend Carol who grows them, so off we went and made it.
Wow! It’s delicious and moist, with a very tender crumb and not riddled with sweet caramel, but rather the perfect marriage of cake, apple and caramel. Should have listened in the first place!
Best apple suggestions
Apples aren’t necessarily equal when it comes to baking with them. You need an apple variety that holds its structure when heat gets involved, rather than turning to pockets of depressing apple mush.
- Granny smith
- Pink lady
- Golden delicious
A lot of recipes for poke cakes suggest using the end of a wooden spoon, chopstick or straw. We like how Tracy uses a thin skewer to make fine holes that finely moisten the cake, rather than having wide pools of caramel sitting in the cake.
Watch How To Make It
Scroll to the bottom for Caramel Apple Poke Cake recipe.
Check out some more winning apple desserts
click on the link for the recipe…..Apple and Sour Cream Slice
click on the link for the recipe…..French Apple Cake
click on the link for the recipe…..Apple Frangipane Tart
click on the link for the recipe…..Apple Blueberry Cake with Crumble and Almonds
click on the link for the recipe…..German Apple and Pecan Crumble Cake
What’s you favourite apple recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this Quick Caramel Apple Poke Cake.
Caramel Apple Poke Cake
Caramel apple poke cake is tender, moist and the perfect marriage of apple, caramel and spices. What's not to like.
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped (thumb nail size pieces) see photo above
- 1 1/2 cups plain (all purpose) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 250g (9 ounces) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- caramel sauce 2 tablespoons butter 1 cup light brown sugar 300 ml (10 ounces) thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 300 ml (10 ounces) thickened cream
- lightly grease and flour a 20 cm (8 inch) round cake tin, and cut a disc of baking paper to fit the base
- preheat oven to 180c (355f) on bake, not fan
- beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy
- add vanilla and eggs and beat till just combined
- mix in dry ingredients and apples
- spread into cake pan
- tap pan on the bench several times to settle any air pockets
- bake for 1 hour or till a skewer comes away clean
- straight from the oven use a skewer to poke about 25 holes in cake and pour about 1/2 cup of the hot sauce over the cake spreading evenly (serve remaining sauce with the cake)
- allow cake to sit for 15-20 minutes
- run a knife around the outside of the cake
- place a piece of baking paper over the cake
- place a plate over cake and invert plate, then invert over another plate and remove the paper
- serve with remaining caramel sauce on the side
- in a small saucepan over medium heat add butter, brown sugar and cream, stirring till sugar has dissolved and cream has been incorporated
- pour the sauce over the cake while both cake and sauce are hot
This is a marriage of tart apples with sweet caramel sauce that is a winner. A delicate crumb to the cake, laden with apple pieces, spices and moistened with caramel. What's not to like.
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 0mgCarbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g
Get ready to Fall in love with this easy spiced Caramel Apple Poke Cake topped with tender apples and drizzled with caramel!
Hi, thanks for stopping by. We’re in love with this delicious cake also. Regards, Jen and Jo