Banana bread with chocolate chips has a ‘must have’ ingredient….really, really ripe bananas! Black and really ‘spotty’ is what we’re looking for. The sort you’re tempted to throw in the compost. The spottier and blacker the better. Grab them, mash them and throw them in the freezer ready to make this moist, chocolatey, delicious, AMAZING banana bread.
As bananas ripen the starch converts to sugars and the flavour intensifies which is exactly what’s needed for this heavenly bread. You can accelerate the ripening by placing bananas in a paper bag for a day or so. Don’t even think about making banana bread with under ripe bananas…they simply will not deliver. Remember, ‘black and spotty’ delivers.
So you know what’s going to happen the next time you glance at the fruit bowl and the bananas have aged overnight. Banana bread with chocolate chips, that’s what! And this is so, so quick to put together.
FREEZING AND OTHER FLAVOURS
The banana bread with chocolate chips freezes like a dream. Simply slice and wrap individual pieces ready to throw in the lunch box or for a moment of self indulgence.
Banana bread can have so many flavour marriages…think raspberries, blueberries, dates, walnuts, cinnamon, coconut, peanut butter…..you get the picture. Yum and so, so easy!
We’d love to hear your favourite banana bread combinations. Are you eyeing off the bananas just waiting for them to ‘over ripen’ for your next banana bread combo? Hope so.
Banana bread with chocolate chips has a 'must have' ingredient....really, really ripe bananas! Black and really 'spotty' is what we're looking for. The sort you're tempted to throw in the compost. The spottier and blacker the better. Grab them, mash them and throw them in the freezer ready to make this moist, chocolatey, delicious, AMAZING banana bread.
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (11 ounces (320 g) peeled weight)
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 g) melted butter
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 1/2 cup soft brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose (plain) flour (8 oz / 225 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bi-carb soda)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- preheat oven to 325 f (160 c) on bake, not fan forced
- lightly butter a 8 x 5 inch (20 x 12cm) loaf tin - make sure to get the corners greased
- mix banana, butter and sugars together
- add vanilla and egg
- sift flour, baking soda (bi-carb) and salt onto banana mixture and mix
- take 1/3 of mixture and add cocoa mixing well
- spoon alternate plain banana mix and then cocoa banana mix into pan in big blobs - see below
- using a chopstick or knife gently swirl the colours
- smooth top of bread
- bake in pre heated oven for 1 1/4 hours or until skewer inserted comes out clean - check a couple of places as you may skewer some chocolate
- remove from oven and place tin on cake rack for 15-20 minutes before removing from tin
- banana bread is very moist and its best to keep it wrapped and refrigerated
- really over ripe bananas give the best flavour
- chocolate chips can be replaced with lightly toasted walnuts or pecans
- bread freezes well cut into slices and wrapped
Amount Per Serving Calories 258Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 37mgSodium 278mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 2gSugar 36gProtein 2g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.