Asparagus season has just arrived in Australia and it’s one of our favourite vegetables. Hot or cold, in stir fries, salads, dipped into soft boiled eggs, grilled, with pasta, raw or pickled…..the ideas just keep coming.
Asparagus with parmesan cream is on the table in minutes. There isn’t actually any cream in the recipe. Egg yolks along with the wine, stock and parmesan create a creamy texture without any cream.
Check out some more winning vegetable recipes
What’s your favourite asparagus recipe? We would love to hear from you in the comments below when you make this delicious asparagus with parmesan cheese.
Asparagus with parmesan cream is made in minutes. It is delicious served hot with fresh lime or lemon juice squeezed over the asparagus.
- 4 bunches of asparagus trimmed
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 1/2 tablespoons white wine
- 7 tablespoons chicken stock
- 100 g grated parmesan cheese (3 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- lime or lemon cheeks halved and grilled for colour - optional
- freshly ground back pepper to serve
- steam asparagus till tender
- place yolks, wine, 20g ( 1 ounce) of the parmesan, stock and salt in a heatproof bowl
- place bowl over a pot of simmering water
- whisk till mixture thickens ( it should coat the back of a spoon) - about 4-5 minutes
- remove bowl from heat and whisk in remaining grated parmesan
- leave bowl over gently simmering water if you are not ready to serve immediately
- cut limes or lemons into cheeks and place on a grill pan for a few minutes to colour them
- squeeze lime or lemon juice over asparagus along with pepper
- serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 151Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 170mgSodium 553mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 10g
Nutritional information provided here is only intended as a guide.